Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Flight And The First Night

So the flight. Arrived at JFK airport. Made it through check-in and security in record time. Sat at the gate for 3 hours. But, I did manage to get my guitar on the plane. The flight attendants stowed it in one of the coat closets. So that was nice. The flight was long, as expected. But we got in on time and it was a pretty smooth flight.

So we arrive in london. Immigration was a bit confusing, because we didn't realize that there was a separate line for student visitors. Once we figured that out, we got our bags and headed out to the arrivals hall where we meet the person from Goldsmiths who was there to get us to our bus. Here's a picture of the trolly with all my bags and some of my friends in the arrivals hall of Heathrow:

After a little bit of waiting, we made our way outside to the bus, got our luggage on, boarded the bus, and I was out. I didn't get a lot of sleep on the plane so I took this opportunity to sleep.

When we arrived at Goldsmiths, my reaction was "I can't believe we are actually here". We went in a grabbed our keys and swipe cards and made our way to our flats. My flat was only one flight up which was nice. I have a single room with my own bathroom. It's pretty nice to have my own space. I don't really have anything to make it my own yet, but I'm sure with a few touches it will be good. My friends and I spent the day unpacking and exploring. I took the time to get my internet up and running which was not an easy task.

Later, I started to meet up with most of my friends, and we all went out to a thai restaurant for dinner. The food was really good and we all had a good time. After that, we headed to the local pub, The Hobgoblin. It's right around the corner from my flat. Everyone gathers there all the time. So me and my friends sat around and toasted to the next three months.

It's going to take a lot of getting used to being here in London. There are a lot of differences, but we are all helping each other out with bits and pieces of everything. I think it's going to take another day or two until I feel totally comfortable.

Time to go to bed since I have my first meeting at 9:00am!

Oh, and even though I've been to London twice, I still can never get over the fact that they drive on the other side of the road.....